PATIENT PREPARATION FOR BREATH TESTING WITH GASTROLYZER THE RANGE
Four Weeks Prior to Test
- Make sure that antibiotics have not been taken within the four weeks before test,
- Having a colonoscopy within four weeks before taking the test can cause contraindications,
- Having a fluoroscopy within four weeks before taking the test can cause contraindications,
- Ileostomy (except hypertrophic diagnosis bacterial).
One Week Prior to Test
- No stool hardeners or softeners,
- No vitamins or supplements containing fructose flavourings or lactose fillers,
- No fibre supplements, Imodium or Pepto Bismol,
- Avoid pre and probiotics,
- Avoid proton pump inhibitors and hydrogen blockers.
Three Days Prior to Test
For up to three* days prior to the test the following diet shows foods that need to be avoided and a suggested diet to be undertaken for the time before the fast. If you are unsure whether a food should be avoided or not, it is best to avoid it anyway to be sure that it does not interfere with the test results.
Foods to avoid:
- Grains and cereals (bread),
- Milk and dairy products,
- Fruit and fruit derivatives,
- Nuts, seeds and beans,
- Any foods and beverages containing high fructose corn syrup and sugar-free foods, ketchup, honey, mustard, mayo, etc.
- Baked or grilled chicken, turkey or fish with low amounts of salt for flavouring only,
- Plain steamed white rice,
- Rice Quinoa,
- meat (without processed products, e.g. kabanos, ham PROHIBITED).
*Minimum of 24 hours of the suggested diet is required, if patient suffers from constipation, 2 or 3 days is preferred as gut transit time is slower.
12 Hours Prior to Test
Patients will be fasting for a minimum of 12 hours prior to the test. Nothing should be consumed apart from water. Take no medications on the morning of your test, but take all prescriptions medicines to your morning appointment.
Side note: If you are a diabetic, taking prescribed medications or suffer from any condition that may be affected by the suggested diet or fasting, please consult with your physician about how to proceed.
Day of Test
- Do not take any medication,
- No smoking,
- No chewing candy,
- No exercise,
- No denture adhesive,
- Please leave sufficient time for your appointment,
- Your test may last for up to three hours,
- You can bring reading material to occupy yourself during the test,
- Two hours before the test you can brush your teeth,
- You may drink 1 glass of still water 1 hour before the test. DO NOT DRINK DURING THE TEST.
Contraindications to the Test:
Known or suspected hereditary fructose intolerance (contraindication for the fructose tolerance test and sorbitol tolerance test) and known or suspected (alimentary) hypoglycemia.
|Type of test
|Indicative duration of the test
|Test for fructose tolerance
|2h – 2,5h
|Test for lactose tolerance
|2h – 2,5h
|Test for sorbitol tolerance
|2h – 2,5h
|Test for xylitol tolerance
|2h – 2,5h
|Test for glucose tolerance
|1h – 2h
|Test for lactulose tolerance
|3h – 3,45h
DO NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES FOR 24 HOURS BEFORE THE EXAMINATION!!!
KINDLY, THE RESULT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE INTERPRETATION OR CONSULTATION OF A DOCTOR.
We kindly inform you:
- for arriving at least 5-10 minutes before the agreed time,
- for possible cancellation of the test at the latest on the day before the test date,
- to provide information during registration which test will be performed.